Thai companies Ratch and Banpu submit proposal to build mega power plant PLTU Java 7

JAKARTA ( – Two Thai companies, Ratchaburi Electricity Generating Holding PCL has joined forces with Banpu Plc, to submit a proposal to build a 2,000 MW coal-fired power plant in Indonesia for a total investment of US$3.7 billion (Bt135 billion), a Thai media reports.

The Thai companies are competing with other investors or bidders, four from China and two from Malaysia, to build the so-called Java 7 power project in West Java, The Nation reported.

Banpu is expected to involve its Indonesian subsidiary PT Indo Tambangraya Megah Tbk (ITMG) in developing power plants in Indonesia, including the PLTU Java 7.

Director of PT Indo Tambang Leksono Poeranto said Banpu has passed the pre-qualification phse and now entering the tender process, which will be done in October this year.

If they win the tender, the consortium – Ratch, Banpu and Indo Tambangraya will control 70 percent of the PLTU Java 7 project and the remaining 30 percent will be held by PT Pembangkitan Jawa Bali (PJB), a subsidiary of state electricity company PT PLN.

Indo Tambang has also took part in a tender to build PLTU Java 5 in West Java with capacity of 2×600 MW. The move by coal miner Indo Tambangraya is in line with the move by its parent firm Banpu Plc to enter power plant business in the Asian region.

Ratch is also expected to unveil next month a new hydropower project in Laos that will have an installed capacity of about 300-400MW.

On solar-power projects in Japan, it has already signed a joint-venture contract with Chow Steel Group to develop solar farms at two sites for a combined capacity of 33MW, and is considering two more projects there.

It is also expected to conclude early next year an agreement with Taiwan’s Huamin Group for development of a 100MW solar-farm project in mainland China.

Ratch is listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand after spinning off from the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand’s 3,400MW Ratchaburi power plant in 1992.

It also owns 40 percent of the 1,878MW lignite-fired Hongsa power plant in Laos, its largest overseas project so far. (*)

Check Also

logo CMEC

China Machinery Engineering to construct 2,400 MW of power plants in 2016

JAKARTA ( — China Machinery Engineering Corporation, a Chinese state owned own company, revealed that ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>